Waterlife - Reflection

Original Text: Waterlife - Reflection


When you think of water what comes into your head? Lakes? Rivers? Oceans? Many people wouldn’t think about the water in our world. They wouldn’t think about how it would affect our lives. Most of all they would have never guessed that water can be an invasive species or that it can be poison. When reading about the different affects of water I would never thought there would be so many changes water has in the world.

Knowing that water is poison come to a shock, and reading that 15 to 20 whales are found dead in the St. Lawrence River just because the river has a cold temperature or because of cancer was a big shocker. Many people in Canada would buy a filter to deal with bacteria, metals and solids from the water. But it’s not only those 3 chemicals in the water we drink in. The water we drink comes from the tap that came from the lakes and rivers. Finding out that there was 7 different kinds of chemicals in the Great Lake were outstandingly surprising. Also, the chemicals in that water don’t dissolve in water.

We all drink bottled water at least once in our lives. But did you know that when we buy bottled water we are only paying 10% for the water, the other 90% is for the bottle itself, the lid and of course the label. Using bottle water causes more landfills which affects our environment. I can truly say that learning about how much bottle water we use can affect the environment plus it’s kind of a waste of money. It came to my senses that buying a reusable water bottle and to buy a filter can save you so much money. Plus, you would be helping the environment.

Watching and learning about how the Lake Superior was formed was something I would have never learned before. It made me wonder that water can be really cool once you start learning about it. At some parts its disgusting but other than that the movie was overall good. I learned about how water is an invasive species. Also, I learned about how the Asian Carp, Zebra Mussels, and the Lamprey affect the great lakes and the animals in it.

If this was a unit that we would have to learn, I would be very interested in it. It made me realize that water surrounds use every day of our life. There is never a day where there is no water. Did you know that 65% of our body mass is water and that our brain is consumed of 70% water? Also, that our lungs are composed of 90% water? Well, I didn’t until after learned about water.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Revised Text:

When you think of water, what comes into your head? Lakes? Rivers? Oceans? Many people wouldn’t think about the water in our world. They wouldn’t think about how it could affect our lives. Most of all, they would have never guessed that water can be an invasive species or that it can be a poison. When reading about the different effects of water, I would never have thought there could be so many changes water makes in the world.

Knowing that water is a poison comes as a shock, and reading that 15 to 20 whales were found dead in the St. Lawrence River, just because the river is cold, or because of cancer was a big shocker. Many people in Canada buy filters to deal with bacteria, metals and solids in water, but there are not only these 3 substances in the water we drink. The water we drink comes from the tap, and came from the lakes and rivers. Finding out that there are 7 different kinds of chemicals in the Great Lakes was outstandingly surprising. Also that the chemicals in that water don’t dissolve in water.

We all drink bottled water at least once in our lives. But did you know that when we buy bottled water we are only paying 10% for the water? The other 90% is for the bottle itself, the lid, and of course the label. Using bottled water means more landfills, which affects our environment. I can truly say that how much bottled water we use affects the environment, plus it’s kind of a waste of money. I came to my senses. Buying a reusable water bottle and buying a filter can save you a lot of money. Plus, you would be helping the environment.

Watching and learning about how Lake Superior was formed was something I had never learned before. It made me wonder about how water can be really cool once you start learning about it. Some parts were disgusting, but other than that, the movie was overall good. I learned about how water is an invasive species. Also, I learned about how the Asian Carp, Zebra Mussels, and the Lamprey affect the great lakes and the animals in them.

If this were a unit that we had to learn, I would be very interested in it. It made me realize that water surrounds us every day of our lives. There is never a day where there is no water. Did you know that 65% of our body mass is water, and that our brain is made up of 70% water, and also that our lungs are composed of 90% water? Well, I didn’t until after learned about water.

Editor:

1. Please review the text carefully to ensure your intended meaning was not mistakenly changed.

2. Before you leave this page, please take a moment to use the "Click here to post comments." link at the bottom of the page to rate the proofreading and leave a comment if you wish.


Proofreading and editing pages that receive ratings and comments are moved to the top of the list.

Click here to post comments

Return to Invitation 5- Proofreading Archive-April to June 2011.